Psychiatry and Psychology Services
Our services are available to all UC San Diego Health patients. Our payment options include insurance (copays may apply), cash, or low-fee or no-fee options.
See Appointments and Locations for more information.
Meet Our Team
Psychiatrists and Psychologists
Psychiatrists and psychologists play a key role in supporting patients, family members, and caregivers through the stressor of cancer and its treatment. We specifically focus on patients who developed mental health issues as a result of their cancer, and those whose preexisting mental health conditions are impacting their ability to engage in treatment.
We typically provide services during the course of direct cancer care within one year of completing disease-specific treatment, and lasting for up to 12 sessions (or one year).
These services can include:
- Initial, thorough psychiatric or psychological assessment of needs and concerns
- Ongoing, problem-focused individual, couples or family counseling or psychotherapy, which can include:
- Emotional support
- Relaxation training, guided imagery
- Mindfulness training
- Specific problem-solving
- Communication and assertiveness training
- Specific psychotherapeutic expertise in:
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive processing therapy
- Dignity therapy
- Grief therapy
- Meaning-centered psychotherapy
- Management of symptoms of depression, anxiety, fatigue, insomnia, and other concerns
- Medication management (through psychiatry services)
"Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it."
- Helen Keller