Media and Publications: Patient & Family Support Services
The news articles, publications, and book chapters below either feature or were authored by our Patient & Family Support Services team
In the Media
- Ketamine May Offer Relief For Hospice Patients, UC San Diego Tumblr article based on June 2014 study published in Psychosomatics
- Dr. Scott Irwin on the Important Things: Whole Person Care, La Jolla Light, 2014.
- Fairman, N. and Irwin, S.A. Attending to the “Mental Suffering” of Patients With Progressive Medical Illness. Psychiatric Times, March 2014.
- Dealing With Life-Threatening Illness From Both A Doctor And Patient’s Perspective. KPBS Television Evening Edition, 2014.
- Dealing With Life-Threatening Illness From Both A Doctor And Patient’s Perspective. KPBS Radio Midday Edition, 2014.
- Melville, N. Novel, Effective Antidepressant Still Not Ready for Prime Time. Medscape Medical News, 2013.
- Stetka, B., Correll, C. 2012 Psychiatry Game Changers. Medscape Medical News, 2012.
- Arehart-Treichel, J. A Few Psychiatrists Choose Path Strewn with ‘Heartbreaking Work’. Psychiatric News, Psychiatry Online, 47 (14) 8-25, July 20th, 2012.
- Jancin, B. Psychostimulants, Ketamine Improve Depression Quickly in Hospice. Clinical Psychiatry News Digital Network, 2012.
- LIFE Before Death: Total Pain & Mental Health. You Tube, 2012.
- LIFE Before Death: What is Palliative Care? You Tube, 2012.
- Irwin, S.A. Agitation: Get It Under Control Quickly. Medscape Medical News, 2012.
- Irwin, S.A. Depression: Treat It Fast When Time Is Short. Medscape Medical News, 2012.
- Irwin, S.A. Palliative Care Growing in Popularity. Letter to the Editor, San Diego Union Tribune. August 20th, 2012.
- Irwin, S.A. Do Antipsychotics Belong in Nursing Homes? Medscape Medical News, 2012.
- Irwin, S.A. Palliative Care vs. Hospice Care: Guidance for Clinicians. Medscape Medical News, 2011.
- Stretka, B. and Irwin, S.A. Palliative Care Psychiatry: What is it and does it work? Medscape Psychiatry & Mental Health, 2011.
- King, J. Psychopharmacology for Children With Advanced Illnesses a Challenge: An Expert Interview With Jeremy M. Hirst, MD. Medscape Medical News, 2011.
- Ending Life with a Sense of Peace. The California Report. KQED Public Media for Northern California, 2010.
- Meier, D.E. and Beresford, L. Growing the Interface between Palliative Medicine and Psychiatry. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 13: 803-806, 2010.
- Farokhpay R, Montross Thomas LP, Meier EA, Irwin SA. Self-Reflections on Mortailty Among Hospice Patients. J Palliat Med. 2014.
- Fairman N, Montross LP, Whitmore S, Meier E, Irwin SA. What did I miss? A qualitative assessment of the impact of patient suicide on hospice clinical staff. J Palliat Med. 17: 832-6, 2014.
- Irwin, S.A.,Iglewicz, A., Lo, J.Y., Carr, C.H., Romero, S.D., Nelesen, R.A., and Lloyd, L.S. Daily Oral Ketamine for the Treatment of Depression and Anxiety in Patients Receiving Hospice Care: A 28 day open-label proof-of-concept trial. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 16: 958-966, 2013.
- Montross, L.P., Meier, E.A., De Cervantes-Monteith, K., Vashistha, V., and Irwin, S.A. Hospice Staff Perspectives on Dignity Therapy. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 16: 1118-1120, 2013.
- Fairman, N., Irwin, S.A. A Retrospective Case Series of Suicide Attempts Leading to Hospice Admission. Palliative & Supportive Care, 11: 273-6, 2013.
- Irwin, S.A., Mausbach, B.T., Koo, D., Fairman, N., Roepke, S.K., Chattillion, E.A., Dimsdale, J.E., Patterson, T.L., Ancoli-Israel, S., Mills, P.J., von Kanel, R., Ziegler, M.G., and Grant, I. Association Between Hospice Care and Psychological Outcomes in Alzheimer’s Family Caregivers. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 16: 1450-54, 2013.
- Empeno, J., Raming, N.T.J., Irwin, S.A., Nelesen, R.A., and Lloyd, L.S. The impact of additional support services on caregivers of hospice patients and hospice social workers. OMEGA: Journal of Death and Dying, 67: 53-61, 2013.
- Yang, H.B., Nelesen, R.A., Montross, L.P., Whitmore, S.M., and Ferris, F.D. Comparison of international medical graduates with US medical students and residents after a four-week course in palliative medicine: A pilot study. J Palliat Med, 16: 471-7, 2013.
- Liu, L., Rissling, M., Neikrug, A., Fiorentino, L., Natarajan, L., Faierman, M., Sadler, G.R., Dimsdale, J.E., Mills, P.J., Parker, B.A., Ancoli-Israel, S. Fatigue and Circadian Activity Rhythms in Breast Cancer Patients Before and After Chemotherapy: A Controlled Study. Fatigue, 1: 12-26, 2013.
- Liu, L., Fiorentino, L., Rissling M.B., Natarajan, L., Parker, B.A., Dimsdale, J.E., Mills, P.J., Sadler, G.R., and Ancoli-Israel, S. Decreased health-related quality of life in women with breast cancer is associated with poor sleep. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 11: 189-206, 2013
- Burton, C.Z., Twamley, E.W., Lee, L.C., Palmer, B.W., Jeste, D.V., Dunn, L.B., & Irwin, S.A.Undetected cognitive impairment and decision-making capacity in patients receiving hospice care. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 20: 306-316, 2012.
- Liu, L., Mills, P.J., Rissling, M.B., Fiorentino, L., Natarajan, L., Dimsdale, J.E., Sadler, G.R., Parker, B.A., and Ancoli-Israel, S. Fatigue and sleep quality are associated with changes in inflammatory markers in breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Brain Behav Immun., 26: 706-13, 2012.
- Bardwell, W., Fiorentino, L. Risk factors for depression in breast cancer survivors: an update. International Journal of Clinical and Health Psychology, 12: 311-331, 2012.
- Liu, L., Rissling , M., Natarajan , L., Fiorentino, L., Mills, P.J., Dimsdale, J.E., Sadler, G.R., Parker, B.A., and Ancoli-Israel, S. The longitudinal relationship between fatigue and sleep in breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Sleep, 35: 237-245, 2012
- Fiorentino, L., Rissling, M., Liu, L., and Ancoli-Israel, S. The Symptom Cluster of Sleep, Fatigue and Depressive Symptoms in Breast Cancer Patients: Severity of the Problem and Treatment Options. Drug Discovery Today Reviews, 8: 167-173, 2011.
- Irwin, S.A.,Montross, L.P., Bhat, R.G., Nelesen, R.A., and von Gunten, C.F. Psychiatry Resident Education in Palliative Care: Opportunities, Desired Training, and Outcomes of a Targeted Educational Intervention. Psychosomatics, 52: 530–536, 2011.
- Montross, L.P., Winters, K.D., & Irwin, S.A. Dignity Therapy implementation in a community-based hospice setting. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 14: 729-34, 2011.
- Rao, S., Ferris, F.D., and Irwin, S.A. Ease of depression and delirium screening in hospice-care inpatients. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 14: 275-279, 2011.
- Empeno, J., Raming, N.T.J., Irwin, S.A., Nelesen, R.A., and Lloyd, L.S. The Hospice Caregiver Support Project: Providing support to reduce caregiver stress. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 14: 593-597, 2011.
- Irwin, S.A.and Iglewicz, A. Oral ketamine for the rapid treatment of depression and anxiety in patients receiving hospice care. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 13: 903-908, 2010.
- Jeste, D.V., Twamley, E.W., Cardenas, V., Lebowitz, B., and Reynolds, C.F. A call for training the trainers: focus on mentoring to enhance diversity in mental health research. Am J Public Health, 99: suppl 1: s31-7, 2009.
- Liu L, Fiorentino L., Natarajan L, Parker B, Mills P, Sadler G, Dimsdale J, Rissling M, He F, Ancoli-Israel S: Pre-Treatment Symptom Cluster in Breast Cancer Patients is Associated with Worse Sleep Fatigue and Depression during Chemotherapy. Psychooncology, 18: 187-94, 2009.
- Fiorentino, L. and Ancoli-Israel, S. Sleep dysfunction in patients with cancer. Curr Treat Options Neurol, 9: 337-46, 2007.
- Montross, L.P., Depp, C., Daly, J., Reichstadt, J., Golshan, S., Moore, D., Sitzer, D., and Jeste, D.V. Correlates of self-rated successful aging among community-dwelling older adults. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry, 14: 43-51, 2006.
- Ancoli-Israel, S., Liu ,L., Marler, M., Parker, B.A., Jones, V., Robins Sadler, G., Dimsdale, J.E., Cohen-Zion, M., Fiorentino, L. Fatigue, Sleep and Circadian Rhythms Prior to Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer. Support Care Cancer, 14: 201-2093, 2006.
- Fiorentino, L., Ancoli-Israel, S. Insomnia and its Treatments in Women with Breast Cancer. Sleep Medicine Reviews, 10: 419-29, 2006.
Selected Book Chapters and Review Papers
- Irwin, SA and Hirst, JM. Overview of anxiety in palliative care. UpToDate®, 2014.
- Hirst, JM and Irwin, SA. Overview of insomnia in palliative care. UpToDate®, 2014.
- Pottie CG, Burch KA, Montross Thomas LP, Irwin SA. Informal caregiving of hospice patients. J Palliat Med. 17: 845-56, 2014.
- Irwin, S.A.,Pirrello, R.D., Hirst, J.M., Buckholz, G.T., and Ferris, F.D. Clarifying delirium management: Practical, Evidenced-Based, Expert Recommendations for Clinical Practice. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 16(4): 423-35, 2013.
- Irwin, S.A.,Buckholz, G.T., Hirst, J.M., Pirrello, R.D., and Ferris, F.D. Recognizing and managing delirium. InPrinciples and Practice of Palliative Care and Supportive Oncology. A. Berger, J. L. Shuster and J. H. Von Roenn (eds.). 4th ed., Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 529-542, 2013.
- Fairman N., Irwin S.A. Palliative care psychiatry: Update on an emerging dimension of psychiatric practice. Current Psychiatry Reports, 15:374, 2013.
- Irwin, S.A. and Block, S.D.What Treatments Are Effective for Depression in the Palliative Care Setting? In Evidence-Based Practice of Palliative Medicine.Morrison, R.S. and Goldstein, N. (eds.). Elsevier Saunders, 181-190, 2012.
- Irwin, S.A., Montross, L.P., and Chochinov, H.M.What treatments are effective for Anxiety in Patients with Serious Illness. In Evidence-Based Practice of Palliative Medicine.Morrison, R.S. and Goldstein, N. (eds.). Elsevier Saunders, 191-197, 2012.
- Irwin, S.A. and Von Gunten, C.F. Negotiating transitions in cancer care. In Psycho-oncology. Jimmie C. Holland, J.C., Breitbart, W., Jacobsen, P.B, Lederberg, M.S., Loscalzo, M., and McCorkle, R. (eds.). 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, 277-283, 2010.