Transportation to and from the Cancer Center can sometimes be difficult for patients and their families. Below are a number of transportation options that may help.
To speak to a Cancer Center social worker about transportation assistance, call 858-822-2168.
UC San Diego Shuttle
Patients can use the "H" (Hillcrest - Campus) shuttle free of charge. It stops near the Cancer Center and travels to the medical center in Hillcrest and the UC San Diego campus. In Hillcrest, the H shuttle stops west of the circle drive, in front of the Arbor parking garage. In La Jolla, it stops at Campus Point and Medical Center drives. View shuttle schedule for departure and arrival times.
Paratransit services on public transportation: NCTD "LIFT" and MTS Access
Both North County Transit Direct and Metropolitan Transit System offer paratransit service, including wheelchair lift-equipped buses, to people with disabilities.
- You must complete an application to become ADA certified. For both systems, go to ADAride.com to find the online application or more information. You can also call 760-966-6525 (NCTD) or 888-517-9627 (MTS) to have one mailed to you.
- You will receive a decision by mail within 21 days.
- If you are approved, schedule rides at least 14 days in advance.
- For more information about paratransit service, see MTS Access or NCTD "LIFT" service.
American Cancer Society Road to Recovery Service
- Volunteer drivers provide ground transportation to and from cancer treatment
- Persons with cancer only
- Advance notice (four business days) is necessary
- No wheelchairs
- Person must be ambulatory, with no bone involvement
- 2-way transport between El Centro and Calexico to La Jolla (Thornton Hospital)
- Hours: 4 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Provides round trip four days a week, with alternating service Mondays and Fridays
- Every two weeks, service provided between El Centro and South County
- Pick up in front of Thornton Hospital at 1:30 - 2 p.m.
- $15 per passenger round trip with pickup at central location, or $21 round trip with home pickup
- For patients or families
- Schedule ahead by phone, or visit ARC Imperial Valley for more information.
FACT (Facilitating Access to Coordinated Transportation) maintains a database of transportation services operated by public transportation agencies, social services agencies, faith-based organizations and specialized transportation services in San Diego County. Use the Find A Ride search tool or call (888) 924-3228, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. weekdays.
iTNSan Diego, Dignified Transportation for Seniors
405 University Avenue, Suite 110
San Diego, CA 92105
Jewish Family Services
- Service area: zip codes 92127, 92128, 92129, 92131, 92064, 92117, 92037, 92111, 92121
- Rides and Smiles program for adults age 60+
- 7-day advance notice required
- Fee based on miles traveled
- Visit http://jewishfamilyservice.org/
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
8575 Gibbs Avenue, Suite 262
San Diego, CA 92123
- Must be receiving treatment for one of their covered diseases or syndromes including, but not limited to: multiple myeloma, leukemia, lymphoma, or primary amyloidosis.
- Must complete application and be approved.
- $150 per fiscal year (July 1 - June 30); no reporting required.
- Visit leukemia-lymphomasociety.org
- Service area: Downtown San Diego and outlying areas, including Spring Valley, La Mesa, El Cajon, Santee, Clairemont, and Chula Vista.
- Transport to medical appointments, with no eligibility requirements.
- Rate for ambulatory: $25 round trip, plus $1/mile.
Rate for wheelchair: $85 flat fee.
- Accepts all major credit cards.
- Same-day service is considered, but 1-day notice is preferred.
Ride with Emilio
PO Box 86165
San Diego, CA 92138
- Pick up location must be within the San Diego area.
- Transportation appointments: 619-944-1754, Mon.-Fri., 8 am to 5 pm
- For pediatric patients with cancer only
- 7-10 day advance notice is necessary
- Folding transportable lightweight wheelchairs accepted
- Person must be ambulatory
- No charge
- Patients should be receiving treatment in San Diego hospitals
- Child should be accompanied by a responsible adult over 21 years