Cuban Black Beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 lg. onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed
- 3 lg. carrots, coarsely grated (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup parsley or cilantro, chopped
- 1 12-oz. jar roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 11.5 oz. can V-8 Juice
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onions, carrots, cumin, paprika, and red peppers in olive oil for approximately 10 minutes,
- Stir in beans.
- Add parsley (or cilantro) and V8 Juice.
- Simmer another 10 minutes. May want to cover to maintain moisture and avoid burning.
NOTE: To add an authentic Cuban flair, splash in a little seasoned rum (about 1/4 cup) and fresh lime juice (about 1/4 cup) right before serving and top with chopped onions and chopped cilantro that have been tossed with some balsamic vinegar.
Serve over brown rice or your favorite grain or with fresh cornbread. Also good served with salsa fresca. Leftover beans can be frozen.
Yield: 8 1-cup servings. Each serving: 280 calories, 15g protein, 47g carbohydrates, 16g fiber, 5g fat.