Chopped Salad with Apple, Cabbage, Carrots, Cranberries & Kale
- 1 bunch young carrots (about 8), peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lg apple (like a Pink Lady), cut into pieces (with skin)
- 1 tbsp. seasoned rice vinegar (or to taste)
- 1/2 small cabbage, cut into chunks
- 1/4 tsp. Spike seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 6-8 leaves Tuscan kale (about 2 cups sliced)
- Garlic powder to taste
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
*The kale and carrots are rich in antioxidant carotenoids, and the kale has the added benefit as a good source of easily assimilated calcium.
Wash and prepare the vegatables and wash/core apple. Chop each separately in small food processor. Place in large salad bowl. Add the cranberries. Toss with olive oil. Sprinkle with Spike and garlic powder, then add the vinegar. Toss and adjust season to taste
Serves 8. Each serving provides about 150 calories, 2g protein, 20g carbohydrates, 3g fat (<0.5 sat), 4g fiber, 0mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 390mg potassium, 60mg calcium.