Calamari Pasta Sauce
Note: You can substitute frozen scallops and/or frozen shrimp for the calamari.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (or less, to taste)
- 1 tsp. minced garlic (4-6 cloves)
- Few splashes of sherry pepper sauce (optional)*
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. dried basil or 1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes (with Italian seasoning), undrained
- 1 lb. frozen calamari pieces (like Trader Joe's)
- 1/2 cup wine (Chianti preferably)
- Salt to taste
*You can obtain same flavor with a dash of cayenne pepper and 1 tsp. sherry.
Saute onions in olive oil until slightly browned. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes (undrained), wine, lemon juice garlic, basil, and calamari. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve over pasta.
Yield: 4 servings. Each serving provides 250 calories, 20 grams protein, 8 grams fat, and 2 grams fiber.