Broccoli Salad with Arugula & Dried Cranberries
Note: Best to make the broccoli and dressing ahead by a few hours to allow broccoli to chill and the onions and cranberries to blend with the vinegar.
Best to make the broccoli and dressing ahead by a few hours to allow broccoli to chill and the onions and cranberries to blend with the vinegar.
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1-1/2 pounds broccoli)
- 1/2 bag arugula, rinsed, drained (about 5 cups)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (if using red wine vinegar, increase honey to 4 tbsp.)
- 6 tbsp. dried sweetened cranberries
- 3 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
Steam broccoli until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Rinse under cold water; drain. Cool.
Whisk vinegar, honey and garlic in large bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add red onion and cranberries to dressing. Let stand until onion softens slightly, at least 30 minutes.
Toss the argula with the olive to coat the leaves. Then add the broccoli and onion/cramberry dressing. Adjust seasonings and serve.
Makes 8 servings. Each serving provides about 80 calories, 1g protein, 2g fat (<1g sat), 0g cholesterol, 15g carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 80mg sodium, 185mg potassium, 40mg calcium.