Caribbean Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1 14-ounce can light unsweetened coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup canned vegetable broth
Stir cumin in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat 30 seconds. Add pumpkin, beans, coconut milk, broth and 3 tablespoons cilantro. Bring soup to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 3 minutes to blend flavors. Mix in lime juice and lime peel. Season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro.
Yield: Makes 8 cups. Each cup provides about 145 calories, 6g protein, 5g fat, 21g carbohydrate, and 6g fiber. From Bon Appetit, 30-Minute Main Courses, November 1999.