Spicy Asian-Style Pasta Salad
Serve this as a side dish, or add some cooked shrimp or chicken for a main course. Look for the toasted sesame oil in the Asian foods section of the supermarket.
- 1 pound Soba noodles, broken in half
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 3 medium carrots, shredded
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 cups snow peas
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (or cilantro)
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain very well. Transfer to large bowl.
Whisk 3 tablespoons sesame oil, honey, soy sauce, vinegar and cayenne pepper in small bowl to blend. Season with salt. Mix half of dressing into pasta. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, peas and onion and saute until just beginning to wilt, about 2 minutes. Add vegetables to pasta. Mix in peanuts, basil and enough dressing to coat. Serve, passing any remaining dressing separately.
Makes 8 servings. Each cup provides about 328 calories, 11g protein, 10g fat, 53g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 381mg sodium, and 297mg potassium.