Moores Cancer Center offers a comprehensive radiation oncology center with the most advanced radiation therapy services available, including:
For details on each kind of treatment, see Types of Radiation Therapy.
Types of Cancers Treated
The following cancers can be treated with radiation therapy:
- Breast cancer
- Central nervous system (brain) tumors
- Gastrointestinal (GI) tumors
- Gynecologic cancers
- Head and neck cancers
- Lung cancer
- Pediatric cancers
- Prostate cancer
What to Expect
Radiation therapy is a five-step process:
- Consultation: You will meet with a physician and other members of the radiation oncology team to discuss the best treatment options available for you.
- Simulation: Computed tomography (CT) simulation is the most accurate way to precisely define the treatment area, and allows a physician to design a plan unique to your anatomy. The simulation will determine your proper positioning on the treatment table that will be used throughout your course of treatment. Customized immobilization devices (to help patients remain still during treatments) are often created during simulation sessions.
- Treatment Plan: Using information from your simulation session, dosimetrists work closely with your radiation oncologist and medical physicist to develop the best treatment plan.
- Radiation Treatment: Treatment usually begins one week after the simulation appointment. Radiotherapy treatments are usually five days per week for four to six weeks. (Your physician will determine the total number of treatments.) At each appointment, a therapist will position you on the table exactly as you were at the time of simulation.
- Follow-up Care: Follow-up visits are intended to monitor your progress and address any side effects you might be experiencing. These appointments are generally scheduled at three or six-month intervals.
Arno J. Mundt, MD, department chair for Radiation Oncology, is an internationally recognized radiation oncologist and has assembled an exceptional team of physicians and medical physicists with expertise in leading-edge treatments and technologies. All treatments are delivered in a compassionate, caring environment, recognizing that each patient is an individual with unique needs and concerns.
To make an appointment: