Moores Cancer Center's Department of Radiation Oncology offers patients access to state-of-the-art radiation therapies.
Radiation Oncology has a comprehensive website at http://radonc.ucsd.edu, or see a summary of its services below.
Radiation oncology therapies include:
- Intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT)
- Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT)
- Frameless stereotactic radiosurgery
- Respiratory gated stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT)
- RapidArc radiotherapy technology
- Read more about these therapies at UC San Diego
The following conditions are treated by Radiation Oncology:
Radiation Oncology employs the most advanced treatments and technology available, offered in a carefully coordinated, individualized treatment program. This program consists of 3 main steps:
- Consultation: You will meet with a physician and other members of the Radiation Oncology team to discuss the best treatment options available for you and determine the recommended course of treatment.
- Simulation: Computed tomography (CT) simulation is the most accurate process to precisely define the treatment area, and allows a physician to design a plan unique to your anatomy. The simulation will determine your proper positioning on the treatment table, which will be used during the rest of the treatment course.
- Radiation treatment: Your treatment will begin one to two weeks after the simulation appointment. Radiotherapy treatments are usually given five days per week for several weeks. The total number of treatments is determined by the physician. At each appointment, a therapist will position you on the table exactly as you were at the time of simulation.
The department chair, Arno J. Mundt, MD, an internationally recognized radiation oncologist, has assembled an exceptional team of physicians and medical physicists with expertise in cutting-edge treatments and technologies. All treatments are delivered in a compassionate, caring environment recognizing each patient is an individual with special needs and concerns.
For more information, see:
For more information or to make an appointment:
Contact Radiation Oncology