Associate Director for Basic Research Jean Y.J. Wang
Jean Y.J. Wang, PhD
Professor of Biology
Dr. Wang carries the responsibility for leading and coordinating research activities in the Programs constituting the Division of Basic Research (Cancer Biology, Cancer Genetics), and facilitates and promotes research interactions and collaborations within the Division.
Dr. Wang is a member of the Board of Scientific Counselors of the National Cancer Institute and her direct knowledge of the objectives and policies guiding the national cancer research effort provides a valuable perspective on how the UCSD Cancer Center can mobilize its strengths to assist these objectives. Her research has been focused on the biological function of the c-Abl tyrosine kinase and the retinoblastoma tumor suppressor protein in normal growth control as well as in tumor pathogenesis. She is also a member of the Editorial Boards of Molecular and Cellular Biology and Cell Growth and Differentiation. She is the Principal Investigator of an NCI Training Grant on Molecular Mechanisms of Cancer. She is ideally qualified for the role of Associate Director for Basic Research in the Center.
Dr. Wang is a member of the Executive Cabinet, and participates in shaping Center policies. In addition, she:
- Advises the Center Director
- Confers with the Deputy Director, Research Operations to develop ways to promote inter-divisional interactions
- Assigns funding for pilot projects
- Advises the Leaders of those Shared Resources most commonly used by basic science researchers (Digital Imaging, DNA Sequencing, Histology, Microarray, Transgenic Mouse) of potential opportunities to enhance services
- Identifies timely new and relevant shared resource service opportunities; (6) advises on prioritization of shared equipment to be purchased for basic science projects in the Center
- Seeks out faculty whose cancer-relevant research would benefit by membership in the Center, and whose contribution to it would benefit the research effort of the whole enterprise
- Reviews new member applications and level of membership based upon the formal criteria outlined by the Center Director
- Interacts with the appropriate Leader regarding the programmatic placement of new members
- Organizes Divisional Retreats
- Acts as the leadership conduit by which programmatic needs can gain support from available Center resources